Saturday, March 08, 2008
Welcome me to Milan Italy!
Then I became busy. I finally got a job somewhere in Jumeirah Lakes, here in Dubai. I was interviewed by a very posh Italian woman in a place very far from where I reside. Getting there by taxi is costly. If I commute, the many route, stops, and the traffic gets in the way of getting there on time. And, 2 bus rides and a taxi to get to the place is a hassle. Springs 4 is what the place is called, one of the very nice residential village and where rich locals and expats reside. My sister, also used to work there in Springs until she found out she is pregnant. Because her pregnancy needs utmost care, she has to resign from her job as a therapist. But that is another story.

So, this Italian woman with exquisite beauty interviewed me in English with a very distinct Italian accent. She talks very fast and the interview was very casual. To cut everything short, she hired me. And made me start that same day. 3pm.

The job? A receptionist. The job that day? I helped Andre, designer-architect, with his storyboard he has to present to a client. What I did was, stick everything after he position all the details of a concept for the interior design of a house, which I later on learned, is for a Russian client. After that, Andre, asked me if I wanted to go and he can drop me off in a bus stop. Since there’s no transport coming to the village, unless you call taxi service, I said yes.

Andre was very nice to welcome me to the team. He speaks limited English but we somehow managed to understand each other…but it was not that easy. I, being able to speak and understand English with ease, had to speak in slow, present tense, simple English. He was very nice to show me where the building where we will be going to work…and same thing, transportation in that area is by own car or taxi or transport service. In my mind I told myself I’m dead! How will I be able to manage my finances if I have to commute everyday by taxi. Or manage my time if I take the bus where I have to wake up early but sleep very late!

Second Day of work was tough! The office was barely finished even as I speak (write this). And the receptionist – well – became a janitor. Need I say more? Since there’s nothing to do, I helped in cleaning, removing empty boxes, lifting some furniture etcetera, and I, the receptionist, became a glass wall cleaner! Yes, having few hours of sleep since the day I started, 2nd day was tough, hard and tiring. The receptionist became a janitor. But it is ok. Rather then being there and not doing anything, I have to make their money’s worth.

The 3rd day somehow was the same. Barely having enough sleep, cleaning, doing errands and all that seemed endless! It occurred to me that I am doing the office boy’s job! But since the office is not set up as of yet, I will not complain. They can let me be the office boy at the moment but the moment the office is fully operational, I will not allow it if they let me do the cleaning or errands like taking heavy stuffs from their car. I did not apply for the office boy’s job. I applied for the receptionist’s role, which, from my understanding, is to basically, receive. And other work a receptionist do is to be like a secretary, running errands is also done, but cleaning toilets (they haven’t asked me to clean the toilet though, I just clean it because I don’t want a messy bathroom if I am to use one), cleaning their office, throwing their trash, cleaning the glass walls is not a receptionists job! But how can I argue with them? They are all very nice to me! My boss and her business partner, the woman who interviewed me, and the other Italian employees they have like Andre (pronounced Andrea), are all very nice to me. They are very kind. My only concern, really, is the “cleaning” and that, I am the only Filipino in the office. When they talk in Italian, I can’t help but feel very very very inferior. So I just stay on one side unless they call me for whatever it is they want me to do.

Haaaah! Well, anyway, at least I have a job now, and the bosses are all very nice. So why should I complain? And besides, its only for now, I know. Since the company is just setting up. I will be their alalay (assistant), office boy, for the meantime but when the office is fully operational and they make me their errand boy…well… just to be practical…they have to charge me for that extra service, right?

Today’s my day off, and Saturdays should also be my day off. However, my boss requested me to come to office to man the workers who are going to be there to finish the flooring and everything. And yes, I keep the keys of the office…janitor!

And I think I also have to learn Italian someday so I could at least mingle with them properly.

Non credete? Sì, ho bisogno di imparare a parlare italiano!



this will be my spot right there as a Receptionist (cum office boy!!!), not done yet






the view from my spot. unfurnished offices as of yet